AZ High-Tech Jobs on the Rise-Earning Double Than Average Private Sector Wage
On the heels of GoDaddy announcing their plan to add over 300 tech jobs in 2014 and GM adding over 1000 engineers over the next year, TechAmerica Foundation’s 2013 Cyberstates report validates something we’ve already known – Arizona’s tech industry is thriving and more jobs are on the way!
According to the report, “Arizona’s tech industry employed 110,700 people in 2012, up by 1,350 jobs from 2011. Tech industry employment accounted for 5.5 percent of Arizona’s entire private sector workforce. This high concentration of workers when combined with an annual average wage rate that is more than double that of the private sector, $89,300 compared with $43,700, bodes well for the Arizona economy.”
“Cyberstates 2013 shows that Arizona has a strong technology cluster,” said Matthew Kazmierczak, Senior Vice President of the TechAmerica Foundation and author of Cyberstates. “Our tech industry is vibrant and attracted to our talented workforce and great business climate.”
The Cyberstates 2013 report is the only comprehensive look at tech employment, wages, and other key economic factors nationally and state-by-state and obtains data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. “The report provides 2012 national and state-by-state data on tech employment, wages, establishments, payroll, wage differential, and employment concentration. All data are the most recent available at the time of production,” according to TechAmerica Foundation.
How did Arizona do with jobs in 2012? According to the report:
- Arizona employed 110,700 tech workers in 2012 (18th ranked cyberstate)
- There were 1,350 net jobs added between 2011 and 2012, ranked 15th nationwide
- Tech firms employed 5.5 percent of private sector workers in 2012, ranked 18th nationwide
- Tech workers earned an average wage of $89,300 (14th ranked), 105 percent more than Arizona’s average private sector wage
- A tech payroll of $9.9 billion in 2012, ranked 18th nationwide
- 7,600 tech establishments in 2012, ranked 18th nationwide
How does Arizona stack up against the National Industry Sectors? According the report:
- Ranked 4th in semiconductor manufacturing with 19,700 jobs
- Ranked 4th in space and defense manufacturing with 8,300 jobs
- Ranked 19th in computer systems design, engineering and related services with 24,400 jobs
Not only is Arizona high-tech industry thriving, according to Entrepreneur magazine, we were also ranked one of the top ten states to start a business.
We have more jobs on our AZTB Job Board here. You can list your job for 30 days for free on our board and we’ll help you promote it!
To read the complete Cyberstates report visit www.techamericafoundation.org.
Source: Press release and Cyberstates report by TechAmerica Foundation